[EM] Proportional election method needed for the Czech Green party - Council elections

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 08:17:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why?

The principle on which PR is based is that all seats are equal.

> Actually, it could be "first seat", or "plurality winner", which is mostly
> equivalent.

It could also have some strategic effects, where people decide to rank
their favorite of the top-2 first, so as to capture the VP position.

> This would help IFF you wanted to increase decrease the
> probability of a simple majority disproportionately sweeping P and VP. Since
> it's only VP we're talking about, the chance of plurality-style strategy is
> slim.

Hmm, maybe.  However, if the President resigns, the VP presumably
becomes President.  IMO, this means that they should both be
centerists.