[EM] Classifying 3-cand scenarios. LNHarm methods again.

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 13:15:00 PDT 2010

The same logic applies also to the Condorcet criterion. We all
probably agree on what terms "Condorcet criterion", "Condorcet
method", "Condorcet-complying method" are intended to refer to. Term
"Condorcet" might refer to any of these or maybe to Marquis de
Condorcet (in the EM framework). If one wants to be exact it is good
to use the longer versions like "Condorcet criterion". On the other
hand I'm perfectly happy with common use of the shorter version
"Condorcet" whenever it is obvious from the context what the intended
meaning is.

I'm also ok with referring to "Condorcet method" as one particular
election method. The definition is not complete since this does not
define what the result is when there is a "circular tie" / top cycle.
Condorcet methods are a rich family of methods but on the other hand
for some purposes they are all similar enough to be referred to just
as one single method.

Also more accurate descriptions of Condorcet methods may be
incomplete. Copeland's method is known to lead to ties more often than
many other Condorcet methods. Or Condorcet methods may not be exact in
the sense that they are themselves families of methods. For example
the Schulze method is described in Wilipedia so that it covers also a
margins based version in addition to the winning votes based version.
We however typically consider term "Schulze method" to be exact enough
(may refer to the beatpath style of determining the winner or maybe by
default to the winning votes based version). Most defintions don't
specify what one should do in case of an exact tie (maybe lottery,
maybe elect two, maybe arrange a new election, maybe use some
additional criterion).

I think Dave Ketchum's comment on clones and Condorcet methods was
also quite ok. In a typical election there is no top cycle and in that
situation all Condorcet methods are equal and they all handle clones
very well. In this kind of use term "Condorcet method" might refer to
the behaviour when there is no top cycle or alternatively e.g. to the
behaviour of the typical (fully specified) Condorcet methods.

Juho