[EM] Classifying 3-cand scenarios. LNHarm methods again.

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 21 12:05:21 PDT 2010

Dave Ketchum wrote 17 April 2010:

"First, quoting Wikipedia:
> A Condorcet method is any single-winner election method that meets
> the Condorcet criterion, that is, which always selects the Condorcet
> winner, the candidate who would beat each of the other candidates in
> a run-off election, if such a candidate exists. In modern examples,
> voters rank candidates in order of preference. There are then
> multiple, slightly differing methods for calculating the winner, due
> to the need to resolve circular ambiguities—including the Kemeny-
> Young method,Ranked Pairs, and the Schulze method. Almost all of
> these methods give the same result if there are fewer than 4
> candidates in the circularly-ambiguous Smith set and voters
> separately rank all of them.

I have heard this complaint before, so am listening for help.

WHAT should I say when I want EXACTLY what is described as "Condorcet"
above?"

Dave,
The Wikiipedia piece you quote doesn't say *the* Condorcet method. It
says "A Condorcet method..".

So you couuld say that, or "a Condorcet-complying method".
You asked "Will not Condorcet attend to clones with minimum pain?"
Plain "Condorcet" won't do anything except elect a voted CW if
there is one.
Some Condorcet-complying methods are clone-proof and some aren't.
Chris Benham