[EM] STV - the transferrable part is OK (fair), the sequential round elimination is not

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 09:17:23 PDT 2009

Ralph,

I believe that you misunderstood what I was saying below. It is the
relative *number* of candidates who run for office relative to the
number of the voters they represent compared to the same ratio for all
other candidates that determines whether or not STV achieves
proportional representation. I.e. STV is subject to vote splitting or
insufficient candidates running to represent any group of voters.

STV has all the same flaws of IRV and is hence unsuitable for use in
any elections. Its flaws far outweigh its benefits, esp given the
existence of methods that achieve proportional representation more
reliably and without causing all the other problems that STV causes.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp

Town of Colonie, NY 12304
phone 518-952-4030
cell 518-505-0220

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://kathydopp.com/serendipity/

Realities Mar Instant Runoff Voting - 18 Flaws and 4 Benefits
http://electionmathematics.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

Checking election outcome accuracy --- Post-election audit sampling
http://electionmathematics.org/em-audits/US/PEAuditSamplingMethods.pdf