[EM] Divisor method equivalence

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Oct 12 23:39:43 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Could someone show me a proof of how the Sainte-Laguë and Webster's
method are equivalent? On the surface of it, each method has an approach
that's quite different from the other: Sainte-Laguë divides subsequently
by (1, 3, 5, 7, etc), while Webster's finds the correct
divisor/multiplier for all in one go.

In general, what is the relation between the divisors in a
highest-average method and the rounding in the equivalent "find divisor
so that the rounded numbers sum up to what we want" method?