[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Nov 25 20:51:03 PST 2009

Trying to sort this out as to Condorcet and LNH:

Seems that cycles are involved before, after, or both.  And the voters
change their votes, getting more affect on result than they might
expect.  So what, assuming the counters properly read the vote?

I agree with those who expect cycles to be rare.  Still, it is the
more important races that are more likely to result in cycles.

What I see as important is that, assuming analysis of the election is
done both officially and by others, it should be practical to decide
whether the official result was correct, considering the N*N vote
count.  In other words, the official analysis should not be complex -
especially not to gain trivial improvement in quality of official
result.

Dave Ketchum