[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Nov 25 12:08:09 PST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Warren Smith wrote:

> Are there any other voting methods besides IRV, meeting the
> 'later no harm' criterion?

my understanding is that the later-no-harm result happens only if the
case of a Condorcet cycle (the prevalence of which i am dubious
about).  where there is a Condorcet winner and that person is
elected, is there still possible later harm?

i hadn't thought of it before but i s'pose that since Condorcet
*does* give preference to centrist candidates over solid coalition
candidates (in comparison to IRV rules).  i knew before that
Condorcet sorta favors centrist candidates because voters in either
the left or right fringes (that do not pick the centrist candidate as
their 1st-choice) likely pick the centrist as their 2nd-choice.
that's nice for political interests of centrist voters, but that is
no reason to pick an election method.  the reason that IRV or *any*
non-Condorcet method is problematic for the interest of democracy is
that any candidate elected that is not the Condorcet winner is
elected despite the fact that the majority of voters expressed that
they wanted someone else *specifically* on their ballots.

when IRV or Borda or whatever happens to elect the Condorcet winner,
they seem to do pretty well.  when they fail to do that, voters have
reason to wonder: "didn't more of us prefer that other guy?  how'd
this guy get elected?"  isn't that what democracy is about?: if more
of us prefer Candidate A to Candidate B, then it isn't Candidate B
who gets elected.

other than the possible cycle, in which some kinda pathologies can
happen, i still don't see a pimple on it.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com