[EM] Multipile Transferable Votes

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:04:41 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Stephen H. Sosnick
<shsosnick at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> If your "here" refers to Meek's method (or, for that matter, to any other
> version of STV), then see Appendix 1 and/or read the paragraph in which I
> said the following:

I was wondering about the whole principle.

> "When the number of votes cast by each ballot changed, each of those three
> variables changed in proportion.  Specifically, when each ballot cast 2
> votes, the quota, the tallies, and the excess at every stage were 2 times
> the level they had when each ballot cast 1 vote. Similarly, when each ballot
> cast 4 votes, the values at every stage were 4 times the level that those
> variables had when each ballot cast 1 vote."

Ahh, so it is purely a maths change?  Each ballot is given a weight of
N and the process proceeds as normal?  This actually happens in
Ireland for the Seanad (Senate) elections.  Each county councilor
casts a ballot and it is converted into 1000 copies of his ballot
prior to counting.  Clearly, this wouldn't have any effect on the
results.

What I was thinking when I originally heard it was something like:

In round 1, each ballot is considered to vote for its top N choices.
The means that the quota is N times larger.

Elimination is easy, as you just recount the votes as if that
candidate wasn't present.

Election is a lilttle more complex.  Assuming 4 votes per person, if A
was elected and had double the quota, the a ballot of the form

would count as something like