[EM] strategy-free Condorcet method after all!

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Nov 23 19:14:12 PST 2009

FPTP:  For most elections this can handle the decision needed - though
get near a tie and suspicion pushes toward doing a runoff.

IRV:  Does let voters do ranked voting, but we find plenty of reasons
to complain about how it counts the votes.

Condorcet:  Lets voters do ranked voting for more than one, indicating
which they like best.
      Matters often to let them express their desires more completely
when they wish - though they can often adequately express their
desires via bullet voting.
      Matters MUCH, though rarely, to sort out more complex
decisions.  It is for this ability that we need such as Condorcet.

It is for the last topic, where there may be a cycle and no CW, that
analyzing votes is more of a challenge.

The Llull method will find the CW if it exists.  Else it will find a
cycle member.  Deciding which takes a bit more looking at the N*N
array.  We debate how to choose a winner, which I claim should only
consider cycle members (any cycle member would become CW if other
members were rejected).

Tactical voting?  PROVIDED you know how all others will vote, you may
be able to influence results by responding based on what you know.
That results can be affected via such makes sense.  That you can both
have the needed information and modify your vote as you plan is a
suspect dream - perhaps someone can do useful analysis as to frequency
of attainable useful results for such.

Dave Ketchum