[EM] strategy-free Condorcet method after all!

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Nov 23 09:32:59 PST 2009

On Nov 23, 2009, at 1:43 AM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Seems to me that cycles can occur even with sincerity - they relate
> to conflict among three or more voter views.

sure, they "can".  but i still question the prevalence of such
happening.  and with the other methods, particularly the two used in
governmental elections: FPTP and IRV, the prevalence of tactical
voting (particularly compromising) is clear.  why is there so much
worry about a pathology that just doesn't seem to occur often enough
to be worth it when there seems to be plenty reason to worry about
pathologies involved with the non-Condorcet methods?

i dunno how to, other than take the raw ballot data of some existing
IRV elections, but i would like to see how many of these municipal
IRV elections, that if the ballots were tabulated according to
Condorcet rules, that a cycle would occur.  i know the answer for
Burlington 2006 and 2009 (no cycle in either case, the first case the
IRV, Condorcet, and FPTP winner was the same person, the second case
they were 3 different persons, a clear pathology worth worrying
about).  what about Cambridge MA or SF, anyone know?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com