[EM] What does "proportional representation" MEAN? And list of known PR methods (know any more?)

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Nov 19 19:18:22 PST 2009

Warren Smith wrote:
> Kristofer Munsterhjelm asked me what "proportional representation" (PR) means.
>
> At this time it is probably unwise to make a too-precise definition
> since every PR voting method seems to obey a different proportionality
> theorem.  I say you should just assess each theorem on a case by case
> basis to see if you like it.
>
> But a somewhat imprecise definition is: ...
>
> HERE'S MY LIST OF KNOWN PR VOTING METHODS:
>
> That's my list.  Is anybody aware of any other PR methods?

Yes, the CIVS voting system implements a Condorcet PR method that I came
up with. It seems to work well in practice, having been used for dozens
if not hundreds of elections/polls. In the k=1 case it devolves to
regular Condorcet. There is a description of it on the CIVS web site:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/proportional.html

-- Andrew