[EM] strategy-free Condorcet method after all!

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Nov 18 21:24:45 PST 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> BUT, in our newer studying, we know that there is sometimes a
> cycle, and NO CW.

there certainly *can* be a cycle.  since Condorcet is not yet used in
governmental elections there is no track record there to say
"sometimes".  have there been cases in organization elections (like
Wikipedia and those listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Schulze_method#Use_of_the_Schulze_method ) that evidently use a
Condorcet method.  are there historical cases where there were cycles
with any of those organizations?  or is it only the hypothesizing of
election method scholars and commentators?  sure, we can create
pathological cases where there is a cycle, but does it really happen?

i'm not saying it can't be expected to; when i voted for IRV for
Burlington VT in 2005, i thought to myself that it would not likely
ever elect a non-CW when a CW exists because we know that if the CW
would have to be eliminated before the final IRV round.  that didn't
happen in 2006, but that is exactly what happened in Burlington in
2009.  so pathologies can happen even if we might guess they happen
rarely.

but are there actual elections in some organizations where there was
no CW?

>   Perhaps useful to take the N*N array from an election and use its
> values as a test of Jobst's rules:
>      There may be some comparisons before the CW wins one.  Then
> the found CW will win all following comparisons.
>      BUT, if no CW, you soon find a cycle member and cycle members
> win all following comparisons, just as the CW did above.

>      Testing the N*N array for CW is easy enough, once you decide
> what to do with ties.
>      Deciding on rules for resolving cycles is a headache, but I
> question involving anything for this other than the N*N array -
> such as the complications Jobst and fsimmons offer.

the outcome of resolving a Condorcet paradox should never depend on
the chronological order that pairs are considered.  if the method
does involving starting with a particular pair and proceeding to
another pair (like Tideman would), it should come up with the same
result, no matter which pair you happen to consider first.  and if a
CW exists, the method should always pick the CW.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com