[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting? (long)

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Nov 11 16:28:36 PST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Matthew Welland wrote:

> Also, again, your single vote is irrelevant.

except in a close election.

> It is the aggregate of
> thousands or millions of votes that will make or break A vs. B. How
> many
> feel so strongly against A that they cannot vote for him or her?
>
> The binary nature of approval is washed out by large numbers just
> as a class
> D amplifier can directly produce smooth analog waveforms out of a
> pure 1 or 0
> signal.

the mathematical function that does that is the low-pass filter on
the output.  it's sorta the same idea that these 1-bit A/D (a.k.a.
"sigma-delta") converters use.  if we were voting with a range
ballot, and our continuous range value gets a zero-mean uniform
p.d.f. random "dither" signal added to it (or, to use your PWM
example, a zero-mean number drawn sequentially, in chronological
order of the vote submission) and that gets quantized to a yes/no
Approval vote (i s'pose if the threshold is set to 50%), then you
would have a comparable situation.

i just dunno if i like the idea of a zero-mean (and even symmetrical
p.d.f.) random variable actually going into a governmental election.
how well i approve or disapprove of a particular candidate that i am
not actively supporting is a function of how i'm feeling on Election
Day.  but it's less likely how i rank that candidate w.r.t. the other
candidates would change.  like grading papers, sometimes to come up
with a numerical score, we get out our dartboard and see how good our
toss is.  but students might like a more deterministic method.

for governmental elections, i only support a system that is fully
deterministic (and repeatable) except, i s'pose, if there is a dead
heat, then i s'pose, some kind of drawing of lots would be
necessary.  it should require enough information from voters that the
system knows how any voter would choose between any subset of
candidates (the ranked ballot does that, but the approval ballot does
not).  and it shouldn't force voters to bring their dartboard (or
dice or spinner, etc) to the polls to come up with a numerical
approval rating for each candidate, because of GIGO.

the other principle that is important is that of anonymity of vote.
it shouldn't matter if you really, really, really like your candidate
and i only tepidly support his/her opponent.  my vote for the
opponent should count just as much as your more enthusiastic vote for
your candidate.  there should be nothing that tips the scale in favor
of your candidate based on how enthusiastically she is supported,
only by the numbers of voters that supports her.  our votes should
have equal weight.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com