[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval andrange voting?

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Nov 8 09:22:38 PST 2009

Matthew,

I'm not sure if it is quite at the layman level, but Prof. Nicloaus
Tideman's recent book "Collective Decisions and Voting" has an analysis of
vulnerability to strategic manipulation of virtually every single-winner
voting method that has ever been proposed and concludes that Range Voting
along with Borda and four other methods "have defects that are so serious
as to disqualify them from consideration." (page 238). Range Voting
advocates on this list dispute his definition of "resistance to strategy."

A somewhat more accessible (and available online for free) analysis of
strategic vulnerability of various methods is in this doctoral paper by
James Green-Armytage ("Strategic voting and Strategic Nomination:
Comparing seven election methods"). He found that Range and Approval were
just about the worst in terms of manipulability.
http://econ.ucsb.edu/graduate/PhDResearch/electionstrategy10b.pdf

Terry Bouricius