[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting?

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Nov 8 07:53:15 PST 2009

Dear Kristofer,

both Approval Voting and Range Voting *are* majoritarian: A majority can always get their will and suppress the minority by simply bullet-voting.

So, a more interesting version of your question could be: Which *democratic* method (that does not allow any sub-group to suppress the rest) has (usually or on average or in the worst case) the least Bayesian Regret.

I conjecture that at least when the nomination of additional options is allowed, the method SEC described recently is a hot candidate for this award, since it seems that SEC will lead to the election of the option at the *mean* (instead of the median) voter position, and I guess that in most spacial utility models the mean position is in many senses "better" and will in particular have less Bayesian Regret than the median position. (Recall that in a one-dimensional spacial model where additional options can be nominated, all majoritarian methods likely lead to median positions being realized and are thus basically all equivalent.)

Yours, Jobst