[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting?

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sat Nov 7 13:24:42 PST 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Matthew Welland wrote:

> It seems to me that approval and range voting eliminate most of the
> strategic opportunity in single winner elections and the marginal
> improvement of other methods is fairly small. Can anyone point me to
> analysis, preferably at a layman level, that contradicts or supports
> this
> assertion?
>
> Or, in succinct terms, what are the strategic flaws in approval or
> range
> voting?

Voting in either one is fundamentally strategic.

Take the simple case of casting an approval ballot with three
candidates where your ordinal preference is A>B>C. Obviously you vote
for A and not for C. The strategic question is whether you vote for B.
Voting for B might cause B to beat A, but on the other hand it could
cause B to beat C (depending of course on the other voters).

Presumably your decision to vote for B or not will be driven by your
best guess as to which of those is more likely, and might also be
influenced by whether your preference is more like A>>B>C or A>B>>C.
The closer you are to A=B>C or A>B=C (and the better your information
about other voters, say from pre-election polling), the easier that
decision might be, but it's a strategic decision.

I suppose that I end up more or less in the same came as RB-J, except
that I (mildly) prefer STV to Condorcet methods. In either of those,
it's easy to cast a sincere ballot, and it's usually a good, or at
least acceptable, strategy to do that. With approval or range, you
don't really have that option: every ballot is inherently a strategic
one.