[EM] About non-monotonicity and non-responding to previous posts...

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Nov 5 00:12:38 PST 2009

being pretty much completely converted to the condorcet faith, i have
no problem with non-monotonicity that happens to non-condorcet
winners.  i still do not understand any realistic scenario where non-
monotonicity affects the condorcet winner.

you guys all probably know that in Burlington Vermont, we have an
active and substantial third party (the Progs) and IRV for the
mayoral election.  in 2006 it came in handy and the IRV winner was
also the Condorcet winner.  but in 2009, the Condorcet winner and IRV
winner and FPTP winner were three different people.  the IRV winner
was the Prog, the Condorcet winner was the Dem (as you would expect
because Condorcet does favor centrism), and the FPTP winner was the
Republican (and there was another serious independent candidate).
since we know that if the Condorcet winner makes to the IRV final
round, then that candidate will also win the IRV in the final round,
it turns out that those on the right that voted for their favorite
candidate as their first choice, they actually ended up contributing
to electing their least favorite candidate.  if they had forsaken
their fav and given their first choice to their second choice
(excluding the Independent), they could have changed who the mayor
is.  but with Condorcet, they wouldn't have needed to make that
choice.  they could have voted for their candidate (who would lose
either Condorcet or IRV) and not have that first-pick vote hurt their
2nd-pick and help their last-pick candidate.  the Repubs started a
huge fuss and some Dems have joined in, and IRV will again be on the
ballot next town meeting day (March).  IRV might very well get
repealed in Burlington in 2010.

i've offered this in the past, but if anyone wants a 6 page quick
read about my spin of what happened in Burlington, i can send it to
you.  it's written not for experts but for Burlington residents, many
who never knew there were alternatives to FPTP besides IRV.  i have
also locked horns with Rob Ritchie several times.  the last time, i
was too tired responding again to his non-responses to the points i
have made.  i agree with the goals of fairvote.org, but i think they
decided to put all of their chips into the IRV column (as the only
realistic hope to replace FPTP and/or delayed runoffs) and i think
committing to a flawed system so early was a mistake of theirs.  but
IRV is still better than FPTP, just not as good as Condorcet.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com