[EM] STV - the transferrable part is OK (fair), the sequential round elimination is not

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Nov 2 23:22:39 PST 2009

Juho wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
>> Is this acceptable PR? I hope your answer is "of course not" (if it
>> isn't, we can have that discussion).
>
> I note that a two-party system can be seen as one style of democracy
> that may be chosen intentionally. But if the target is to have PR then
> such single-seat FPTP systems are of course not good at all.

If the people truly want a two-party rule, then using STV (or some other
party neutral PR method) can't hurt - they'll have that two-party rule
if they want, and can at any moment escape from it if they change their
minds. See Malta.

In addition, if the method is any good "between the hard limits"
specified by the DPC or analogous proportionality criterion, then there
will be competition between the candidates inside of the party. STV is
IRV between the hard limits, so one may doubt how good it is at this,
but in reality, it does at least provide some measure of that; my
clustering methods are much more Condorcet and so presumably would
provide greater such competition. My proportionality simulator shows it
to be much better than STV, but I've discovered that said simulator also
has a significant small-party bias, so I'm taking the results with some
salt until I can get proper correlation going.