[EM] (no subject) STV transfer rules

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 09:54:57 PST 2009

robert bristow-johnson  > Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 5:44 PM
> whose *ballot* gets their vote transferred?  it shouldn't matter in
> which order the counting is.  if my ballot is needed to give the
> candidate what he needs, and your ballot isn't needed, then you got
> to influence the election of your next choice, but I did not.  that
> can't be fair.

Opinions differ on the importance of this feature  -  as can be seen from the continued acceptance in some jurisdictions of STV
rules that treat ballots differently in this way.

But if this feature is important in your assessment of "fairness", then you could use either the WIGM (Weighted inclusive Gregory
Method) version of STV-PR as implemented for the Scottish Local Government elections or Meek STV.  In both of these STV-PR versions
ALL of the candidate's ballots are transferred when any transfer of votes has to be made.  Then there is no discrimination of the
kind you describe between these voters.

James Gilmour