[EM] (no subject)

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Nov 2 06:40:11 PST 2009

On Nov 1, 2009, at 10:49 PM, Juho wrote:

>> Firstly, STV-PR can be used in all public elections, including
>> those that are non-partisan.
>
> Yes. Non-partisan multi-winner elections are however rare in
> politics. They may be more common e.g. when electing only a small
> number of representatives within a small community.

Non-partisan multi-seat bodies compose the overwhelming majority of
elected offices in California. All our local boards (county and city
governing board, school boards, fire protection and sanitation
districts) are elected this way, and would be prime candidates for STV.

My sense is that this is fairly common across the US, though in some
states some of these offices are partisan. There's plenty of scope for
non-partisan PR.