[EM] (no subject)

Anthony O'Neal watermark0n at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 00:11:41 PDT 2009

I don't necessarily think that STV is better than an open party list
system.  But I'm a political realist, and I think that STV is the system
that would be easiest to implement in America.  With our loose coalition
Democrat and Republican parties, and our large base of independents,
people are too used to voting for the person and not the party to widely
accept a system that forces voting for a party.  Even if they do have a
large say in said party.  STV is proportional if people vote by party.
It is also proportional if people vote by eye color.

It's main problem is that it's complicated as hell to explain, and the
opposition at the BC-STV referendum exploited this mercilessly.

So the only real solution for proportional advocates seems to be to
either find a billionaire willing to support the cause of STV, or to
wait 100 years until Americas increasing polarization makes partisan
voting seems not seem so obscene.