[EM] PR-STV with approval based elimination

Dan Bishop danbishop04 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 17:37:16 PDT 2009

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> The problem in using any other method than Plurality for counting the
> votes in an STV method is that of elimination. If someone votes for A
> with strength 1 and B with strength 0.5, and A wins, then how much do
> you downweight that voter? The A voters should be reweighted so that
> the surplus is distributed evenly, then A is eliminated, but if this
> causes score changes, then the effective voting power is no longer
> equal to the surplus.
>
> I ran into that while trying to generalize STV to work with Borda (and
> more generally, any sort of weighted positional system). Approval
> without rescaling might dodge it (since the voting power doesn't
> change by removing a candidate), but Range with rescaling wouldn't.
You could use Plurality (with vote-splitting between equally ranked
candidates) to determine surpluses and a different method to determine
eliminations.  For example,

3 seats, Hare quota (100 votes)

100: Escher>Andre=Bush=Gore=Nader
110: Andre>Nader>Gore>Bush=Escher
 18: Nader>Gore>Andre=Bush=Escher
 21: Gore>Nader>Andre=Bush=Escher
  6: Gore>Bush>Andre=Escher=Nader
 45: Bush>Gore>Andre=Escher=Nader

After dealing with surpluses, we have:

28: Nader>Gore>Bush
21: Gore>Nader>Bush
  6: Gore>Bush>Nader
45: Bush>Gore>Nader

Using Plurality for elimination would eliminate Gore.  BUT if we instead
used the Borda count, the scores are:

Bush: 96
Gore: 127
Nader: 77

So *Nader* gets eliminated.  In the final round, we have

Bush: 45
Gore: 55

So the winning set is {Andre, Escher, Gore}.  Coincidentally, the same
as the CPO-STV result.