[EM] Burlington 2009 IRV election valid ballot rate

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Mar 30 06:16:32 PDT 2009

Warren,

Regarding the number of valid ballots in the Burlington IRV mayoral
election:

(I doubt anyone else is interested in this, but I will post it to the list
just in case.)

Now I understand the source of your confusion about the number and rate of
"valid" ballots. The word "valid" has more than one possible usage. the
Choice Plus Pro software web output posted on the Burlington web site uses
a non-standard definition...it includes all of the four (although actually
discovered in the recount to be only one) first round exhausted ballots
(that the scanner detected two ovals marked in the first choice column) as
"valid," because they were genuinely cast by voters and could be
incorporated into the algorithm. We however refer to these as "invalid"
ballots, meaning ballots which were cast with an intent to participate in
the contest, but were apparently miss-marked so as to make the voter
intent uncertain. However also note that four different ballot cards were
BLANK...the voters completely skipped this particular race and didn't vote
at all. Choice Plus Pro unfortunately uses the term "invalid" where as it
should use the standard election administration and legal term "blank" to
describe these four blank ballots. If you look at the actual ballot data,
you will see 8,980 ballots with rankings marked, and four blank ballots
with no votes at all. If one adds in the four blank ballot papers, the
total is 8,984. Since voters often skip some races, and no jurisdiction in
the U.S. that I am aware of includes blank ballots in the base for
calculating spoilage rates, our analysis focuses on the 8,980 ballots that
were cast for this particular contest. Of these, the recount showed that
at most one was an invalid over-vote...thus the rate of 99.99% valid.

Finally, you can find the results of the recount on the city's web site
www.burlingtonvotes.org. They are labeled as uncertified, because the city
attorney says state law has specific requirements for completion, and a
certification form to be signed by the Board of Civil Authority at the end
of the recount. Since Kurt Wright, the petitioner, called a stop to the
recount at the half-way point, the partial results could not legally be
called official or certified. But the fact remains that the three ballots
the vote scanner identified as invalid over-votes in Ward 1, were in fact
found, and determined to have only stray marks in the write-in oval, and
in fact to be valid votes, that were added to the candidate totals during
the recount.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Terry Bouricius