[EM] Democracy

Don & Cathy Hoffard dchoffard at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 13:51:40 PDT 2009

Good morning Fred:

     >The hypothesized 75 year old (who happens to be 5 years my junior)
will
     >advance as far as his (or her) desire and ability allow.  The decision

     >to accept or reject public office need not be, and, for those
interested
     >in influencing the outcome, will not be, made until that decision is
     >imminent.

     >Everyone remains involved in the process for as long as their desire
and
     >ability allow.

     >Fred Gohlke

You use the term "desire and ability".

I believe that their involvement should ONLY be based on their "desire" to
participate in the selection (voting) and not in their "desire" to seek the
job.
I also believe that their involvement should not be based on his "ability"
to do the job.  What you are saying is "if you do not have the ability" to
do the job, based on the perception of others, then you can't participate in
the selection (voting) of the city manager. No one should have the ability
to take away your right to participate (you voting rights).

An individual may have the "desire" to participate in the selection of the
city manager but he/she is not allow to if he is not selected in earlier
rounds.  In a democracy everyone has a right to participate (if they wish)
in the selection of the city manager and in the Triad method someone else
can take that right away from them.  No one should have the ability the take
away your right to participate in the selection (vote).

The basic principle of democracy is that EVERYONE has the right to
participate in the selection and NO ONE has the right to say that you cannot
participate.

Don Hoffard