[EM] Condorcet/Range DSV

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 26 07:32:39 PDT 2009

Jameson,

This Condorcet-Range hybrid you suggest seems to me to inherit a couple of
the problems with Range Voting.

It fails the Minimal Defense criterion.

49: A100,  B0,  C0
24: B100,  A0,  C0
27: C100,  B80, A0

More than half the voters vote A not above equal-bottom and below B, and yet
A wins.

Also I don't like the fact that the result can be affected just by varying the resolution
of  ratings ballots used, an arbitrary feature.

I think it would be better if the method derived approval from the ballots, approving all
candidates the voter rates above the voter's average rating of  the Smith set members.

"For strategies which don't change the content
of the Smith set, it does very well on other criteria, fulfilling
Participation, Consistency, and "Local IIA". "

The criteria you mention only apply (as a strict pass/fail test) to voting methods, not
"strategies" (and  have nothing to do with strategy).

We know that Condorcet is incompatible with Participation  (and so I suppose also with
the similar Consistency).  I don't see how a method that fails Condorcet Loser can meet
Local IIA.

"And because it uses Range ballots as an input but encourages
more honest voting than Range,.."

That is more true of the "automated approval" version I suggested, and also it isn't
completely clear-cut because Range meets Favourite Betrayal which is incompatible
with Condorcet.

Chris Benham