[EM] Some myths about voting methods

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Jun 6 11:26:49 PDT 2009

And of course, for range ballots the expression is log(base 2) X (rounded
up) times N=number of alternatives, where X is the maximum value in the
[0,X] permissible range for voters to specify for each candidate. For range
to be different than ranked ballots, at least one more bit per alternative
must be available to record the range, so a range ballot for three candidats
needs 9 bits, which is three times as much information as a 3-alternative
approval ballot.

The statement that "ranked or range ballots provide more information than
approval ballots" is not by any means a "myth." It is a consequence of the
definition of information.