[EM] Some myths about voting methods

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Jun 6 11:10:25 PDT 2009

The number of possible votes is not the same as the amount of information in
a single ballot. With 3 candidates, there are indeed 8 possible ballots, but
any one ballot can be encoded in 3 bits, since any particular choice
requires only that many to represent it.

Ranked ballots require 2 bits per alternative (01 = 1st, 10 = 2nd, 11 = 3rd)
so the minimum ballot representation is six bits, twice as much information
as is contained in an approval ballot.