[EM] simple definition of Schulze method?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 10:44:31 PDT 2009

Markus suggested:
> > > "Shall the current election method be replaced
> > > by the Schulze method, a preferential
> > > and Condorcet-consistent single-winner
> > > election method?"

> > James Gilmour wrote (4 June 2009):
> > With due respect, Markus, I can safely say that no
> > ordinary elector in the UK would understand any of
> > the important words in that question. Sad, but true.

Markus Schulze  > Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:58 PM
> Well, I believe that it is not necessary that the
> voter can understand the question instantly. I believe
> that the law only requires that, after the campaign,
> the voter can understand the question.

Markus, UK electors have no hope of understanding that question at all after any campaign, never mind not instantly.  And of those
who would vote, large numbers would go to vote with very little prior information.

Just two weeks before polling day for the 2007 elections to the Scottish Parliament ONLY ONE-THIRD of electors were able to say
correctly which political parties had ministers in the Scottish Executive that had been running the country for the previous four
years.  19% said they did not know, and the rest gave wrong answers.  The level of political knowledge among the electors must not
be over-estimated  -  it is almost certainly a lot lower than most of us would like to think.  And I suspect Scotland and the UK are
not unique in that.

James