[EM] simple definition of Schulze method?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 4 09:57:35 PDT 2009

Hallo,

Bob Richard wrote (4 June 2009):

> (1) How is the legislature of your country currently
> elected? As James Gilmour also said, replacing a
> proportional method with single-member districts
> would be a big step backwards.
>
> (2) Does your country have a directly-elected President,
> or elected mayors in the cities, or other executive
> offices? That's where a Condorcet-compliant method
> might be an improvement. I say "might be" because the
> importance of Condorcet compliance relative to other
> criteria is hotly debated, including in this forum.

Please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Hungary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Hungary

*********

James Gilmour wrote (4 June 2009):

> > "Shall the current election method be replaced
> > by the Schulze method, a preferential
> > and Condorcet-consistent single-winner
> > election method?"
>
> With due respect, Markus, I can safely say that no
> ordinary elector in the UK would understand any of
> the important words in that question. Sad, but true.

Well, I believe that it is not necessary that the
voter can understand the question instantly. I believe
that the law only requires that, after the campaign,
the voter can understand the question.

Markus Schulze