[EM] tactical voting vs different methods

Árpád Magosányi magwas at rabic.org
Wed Jun 10 10:08:37 PDT 2009

Hi!

The underlying assumption of Warren's analysis is that there are two major
candidates, and the voter tries to make one of these candidates win "at any
cost".

I feel uneasy with this assumption, because
- here, now I would not entrust any of the top two candidates, and the
majority of the population is playing "eliminate one of the candidates at
any cost".
- I would prefer a voting system which makes cooperation beneficial, hence
- I would like to be in a situation where any of the top two candidates
would be largely OK for me, an I could decide between them based on my pet
issues, world view or whatever

What I am missing here is analysis of the impact of voting method on the
strategy of voters and candidates.
I hope a model could be set up which helps to understand this, but I have
only faint ideas about how it could be done.

And I have a question to Warren - or anyone who bothers to answer - about
one of the aspects:

How range voting and Condorcet (specifically Schulze) affects the chances of
a cooperative and a confrontative candidate?