[EM] Redistricting, now with racial demographics

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 10:52:16 PDT 2009

Yes, Bob, I fully appreciate the opposition to PR.  I have been active in this field for more than 45 years myself and the Electoral
Reform Society has been campaigning for 125 years, and still we have not achieved our main objective (though we have had some
smaller successes along the way).

I fully understand the reasoning and the practicalities of those who go for gerrymandered single-member districts to secure
representation for THEIR minority, but I am opposed to gerrymandering of all kinds for any purpose.  MM-plurality is, of course, the
worst voting system ever devised (still used in local government elections in England) and I was aware of its past use to
discriminate against certain minorities in the USA.

There are many minorities among the electorate.  If you discriminate in favour of one minority (or some minorities), where do you
stop?  Once you start down that road, there is, in fact, NO logical end.  In the UK we could follow our "discrimination" legislation
that applies to the workplace, etc, etc.  Thus we would start with sex, followed race, disability, religion, sexual orientation  -
there may well be others.  And these various discrimination groupings are all overlaid to give a multiplicity of minorities.  There
is no logical case for discriminating electorally in favour of some of these minorities and not doing it for them all.
Discrimination in favour of some minorities will almost certainly mean discrimination against some other minorities.  The whole
discriminatory approach to elected representation just makes no sense.

The only logical approach is to adopt a voting system that will secure representation of all significant minorities among the voters
and then leave it to the voters to determine the representation they want.  This is the only way out of the constitutional blind
alley into which the USA has been driven.

James Gilmour

Bob Richard  > Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:50 PM