[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 61, Issue 6

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:11:45 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Kathy Dopp<kathy.dopp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are my thoughts on how to do fair, compact districts that would
> be easy to serve and administer, as well as compact:
>
> http://electionmathematics.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=9:9

>From the link:

> (i) has equal population districts to within 0.5%; and

Sounds reasonable, as the error in the census is likely higher.
However, the Supreme Court might object.  They have ruled that equal
population is essential.

> (ii) utilizes natural and geographic boundaries and barriers in the creation of district boundaries; and

This requires a definition of both.

> (iii) utilizes existing government boundaries (in particular election administration boundaries such as county boundaries) in the creation of district boundaries; and
>
> (iv) minimizes the sum of all the perimeters of all the districts (produces compact districts); and
>
> (v) minimizes the ratio of the number of uniquely administered districts to the number of election jurisdictions (to reduce election
> administration complexity.)

Since the number of districts is constant, I am not sure you need a ratio here.

> Let each political party draw up district maps and the "winning" map would be the one that:

You could extend it to anyone.

> 1. has a minimum sum of perimeters, and
> 2. has the minimum ratio of the number of uniquely administered districts to the number of election jurisdictions (for administrative simplicity.

> (these two conditions can be equally weighted), and that meets the other three conditions.

How do you equal weight these?  Condition 1 gives a length and
Condition 2 gives a ratio.

You could convert 1 into a ratio by saying something like "Ratio of
sum of perimeters to the perimeter of the state".

Another option is that you could redefine the rule as:

the "winning" map is the one that:

- has the minimum ratio of the number of uniquely administered
districts to the number of election jurisdictions

and

- where the sum of the perimeters is at most 5% larger than the valid
map with the lowest sum of perimeters.

and

- where the boundaries follow "valid boundaries" as defined prior to the census

and

- where the population of the lowest population district is at least
95% of the population of the highest population district

Are election admin areas defined as part of the map, i.e. does the
person submit maps for all elections (State+local+Federal) + how they
should be administered?

Otherwise, I think that by defining admin areas, you could defacto
gerrymander, as the best maps would have to follow those boundaries.

Also, the natural and geographic rule could be abused.  Boundaries
should definitely be decided prior to any census, so that there is
some randomness.