[EM] National Popular Vote & Condorcet

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:35:20 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Dave Ketchum<davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>     Approval data - needs thought but my initial thought is as if each
> approval was a plurality vote - does mean a voter approving 2 gets 2 votes
> counted but relative counts per candidate comes out ok.
>     IRV or Range - examples of methods that should be avoided by states
> willing to have their data included - unless they are willing and able to
> convert to a method that is supported.

I would group them as

Plurality:
A vote for candidate A is considered
A>(others)

Condorcet:
Matrix is provided directly

IRV:
Extract as much info as possible, for example

Round 1:
A: 100
B: 82
C: 41
D: 13

100: A>(others)
82: B>(others)
41: C>(others)
13: D>(others)

D elliminated
4 go to A
3 go to B
5 go to C
1 untransferable

Votes are now
100: A>(others)
82: B>(others)
41: C>(others)
4: D>A>(others)
3: D>B>(others)
5: D>C>(others)
1: D (so effectively D>(others)

C would then be eliminated and we would get info about 2nd choices for
C.  One issue here is that C>D>A would not be distinguished from C>A
(as both would transfer to A).

Approval/Range

This are somewhat different versions of the same method.  There isn't
any way to reverse the process back to votes.

You give each candidate a plurality vote of (votes obtained)*[votes
cast/total approval].  This would at least mean that the state
wouldn't be over represented.

If there were 1000 votes cast and the results were