[EM] National Popular Vote & Condorcet

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Jul 1 07:35:06 PDT 2009

Yes, as usual I wasn't very clear. The way that SHOULD have been worded is:

One can use plurality to count any kind of ranked ballots, but only
plurality to count plurality ballots.

One can use approval to count any kind of ranked ballots that allow equal
rankings, but only approval to count approval ballots.

My point being that if we used the most general kind of ballot, the
COLLECTION process is independent of the COUNTING method. Which, in a way
avoids the whole strategy discussion. If I'm asked to fill out a ranked
ballot without knowing how it will be counted, I can't "strategically" vote
"insincerely."

It's more a technique for formalizing analysis, not a recommendation.