[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jan 31 15:48:51 PST 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:46:00 +0000 Raph Frank wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Kathy Dopp <kathy.dopp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>False. It happens whenever the number of candidates is more than the
>>number of rankings allowed on a ballot plus the number of seats being
>>filled.
>

> Ok, fair enough.  However, IRV is supposed to allow an unlimited
> number of ranks.  Fairvote seems to try to apply the name to a huge
> range of voting methods, not matter how many ranks are allow.  In
> fact, they may have applied it to instant top-2 runoff.

Eventually you get down to successfully running an election.  Among your
choices:
      Leave a slot in the ballot by each candidate for voter to write in
the rank number.   Allows for lots of ranks, but a challenge to decipher
what the voters write.
      Provide a check off slot by each candidate for each possible rank.
Three slots will satisfy most voters for most IRV races, provided they
recognize needs vs abilities.
      Of course, to elect a slate needs more ability.

> This allows them claim it is in use in lots of places.
>
> Also, if you have 3 ranks, then as long as you give your 3rd rank to
> one of the top-2, you should be OK and certainly not any worse off
> than with plurality.

Depends mostly what you want to accomplish as a voter:
      Get in on top-2 - then rank your preference between these.
      Get in on others such as your own preference - rank per your desire
in available ranking.

I would not add to what I wrote above.

>>Unlike top-two runoff or primary/general elections when I am always
>>allowed to participate in the final counting round no matter who I
>>voted for in the prior election.

Need to get together on ONE topic for this debate.

> Top 2 run-off is also potentially non-monotonic when considered as a whole.
>
> If you vote for a candidate in round 1, it might mean that you end up
> electing a worse candidate in round 2, due to eliminating a
> compromise.
>
> Each stage is monotonic when taken individually though.
>

>>Whoever made this statement makes false unsupported assumptions about
>>my position. While it may be true that plurality is one of the worst
>>voting methods available, there is a far worse voting method than
>>plurality and that is IRV/STV.
>

> The two methods both tend towards 2 party domination and will likely
> give the same results anyway.
>
> I think they are both very poor methods.

>>This above statement is hopelessly illogical.
>

> They point I was making was that I don't think you are acting in bad
> faith.  I don't think your support of plurality over IRV is due to bad
> faith, it is just down to disagreement.

>>I believe that in Ireland you also have far fewer issues and election
>>contests to vote on for each ballot.  Am I wrong?
>>
>>Computer scientists have already mathematically proven that counting
>>IRV/STV is an exponential problem in computer science. Far far more
>>difficult and time-consuming to count accurately than other voting
>>methods. I am fairly certain that your assertion about counting time
>>is incorrect.

Proving difficulty is tricky because it depends on understanding the
problem.  What I see below sounds like simplifying the problem to make it
solvable.

Seems like I just read of collecting all the ballots for a race at a
central counting site.

> Maybe you are thinking of Meek's method (or one of the really complex
> ones like CPO-STV or Schulze-STV)?  They requires a computer.
>
> Standard PR-STV takes at most one pass through the votes per round and
> in each round, a candidate is elected or eliminated.
>
> The Irish method is slightly random and is roughly
>
> Initialisation:
>
> 1) sort all the ballots into piles based on first choice
> 2) Count all the piles
> 3) work out quota
>
> Processing (once per round)
>
> If any candidate has more than the quota in his pile
> -- declare that candidate elected.
> -- Select ballots equal to the surplus from the ballots for that
> candidate at random
> -- They are selected using stratified random sampling (based on next
> highest ranking)
> -- assign those ballots to the other candidates
> Otherwise
> -- declare lowest candidate eliminated
> -- redistribute all the votes in his pile
>
> The first count requires examination of all the ballots, but the later
> rounds only require looking at the surplus or the ballots for the
> eliminated candidate.  This is a much smaller set of ballots than all
> the ballots.
>
> The sub-piles are kept separate so as to allow easy checking during
> the recount.  The recount only has to check that each ballot is in a
> valid sub-pile and that the total in the sub-pile matches the original
> count.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.