[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:47:37 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> That isn't the case in plurality.  Lots of people vote for one of the
> top-2 rather than their favourite.

That is called Strategizing. In plurality it is ALWAYS TRUE that if I
choose to vote for a candidate in any election, my vote will increase
that candidate's chances of winning, not decrease it.

> IRV allows you vote for your favourite first choice while still
> allowing

Yes. IRV *allows* me to vote for my favorite first choice candidate
but does *not allow* me to know whether my 1st choice or 2nd choice
vote will help or hurt the candidates I vote for.

Sorry but I want to know that when I choose to vote for a candidate as
my first choice it will increase, not decrease that candidate's
chances to win.

Clearly IRV/STV never allows me to vote for a candidate first and know
that it will help that candidate win, whereas in plurality I always
know that if I vote for a candidate it increases that candidate's
chance to win.

Cheers,

Kathy