[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:07:49 PST 2009

> From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no>
> Subject: [EM] STV and weighted positional methods
>
> Lately, I've been busy trying to generalize STV, the method, to be
> applicable to any weighted positional method. At first, this seems quite
> easy to do. STV (discarding Meek) works like this:

Yikes Kristofer,

I would rephrase that to say "I've been busy trying to *change* STV,
the method, to treat all ballots equally so that it does not exhibit
nonmonotonicity, finds majority winners, etc...."

Let's not forget that STV, at least as Minneapolis is trying to
implement it, and probably San Francisco as well, has all the same
flaws as IRV does.

We need a radical change.

I see that what you are suggesting as a change to STV such as using
the Borda method does seem to be a *lot* better than current
implementations of STV, so I might recommend not calling it "a
generalization of STV".

Cheers,

Kathy