[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jan 25 16:30:00 PST 2009

The voter MAY have a list of candidates, more or less in order, to vote for.

Pressure can get the voter to study to extend this list - but excessive
pressure can build resentment when recognized as not worth the effort.

Forcing voting beyond this list only gets random choices.

DWK
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:21:00 -0800 Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Juho Laatu wrote:
>
>> What I mean is that it may quite OK
>> to assume that people are able to
>> find some preference order when
>> voting. And therefore we can force
>> them to do so.
>

> If we regard the preference order as list of contingent choices (this
> view has come up in IRV discussions), then the ability to vote in a
> plurality election implies the ability to produce such a list, as long
> as the voter regards a sincere ranking as optimal--say that the  voter's
> (lack of or imperfect) information together with the voting  rule makes
> strategizing counterproductive--the ranking just becomes a  sequence of
> first choices contingent on the earlier-listed candidates  being excluded.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.