[EM] Generalizing "manipulability"

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 09:27:47 PST 2009

OK, Range votes are just votes. But voters
do have also opinions. They can be presented
as ratings.

If the voter casts a vote with the intention
that it reflects her opinions as accurately
as possible, then I'd call that vote sincere
(and in most cases not strategic).

If the voter casts a vote that is intended
to optimize the result of the election from
her point of view, then I'd call that vote
strategic (at least if it deviates from the
sincere opinion).

I hope we can agree on some (whatever) common
terminology that would apply to all methods.
The names of the definitions are not important
but their stability and usefulness is.

Juho