[EM] IRV and Brown vs. Smallwood

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Tue Jan 20 03:15:22 PST 2009

Kathy Dopp wrote:
> That anyone would suggest that anyone should use such an inane voting
> method as IRV/STV is beyond my understanding - except if they are
> trying to help voting machine vendors profit by selling an all-new
> round of high-tech voting machines or if they are trying to implement
> a voting method that makes it much more difficult to detect vote fraud
> when it occurs.

I guess that it's a combination of many things. Some may know only of
IRV, others think monotonicity is unimportant (and a "technical" flaw
similar to those used by opponents who prefer Plurality); and the
leaders have committed to IRV and are thus "stuck" with it. STV is much
simpler than CPO-STV also, so the "IRV then STV" strategy may explain
some part of it.