[EM] Generalizing "manipulability"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jan 19 19:02:15 PST 2009

At 01:38 AM 1/18/2009, Juho Laatu wrote:
>I don't quite see why ranking based
>methods (Range, Approval) would not
>follow the same principles/definitions
>as rating based methods. The sincere
>message of the voter was above that she
>only slightly prefers B over A but the
>strategic vote indicated that she finds
>B to be maximally better than A (or
>that in order to make B win she better
>vote this way).

That is an *interpretation* of a Range vote. In fact, they are just
votes, and the voter casts them according to the voter's
understanding of what's best. This has been part of my point: Range
votes don't "indicate" preference strength, as such. Consider
Approval, which is a Range method. If the voter votes A=B>>C=D, what
does this tell us? We can infer some preferences from it, to be sure,
and those preferences are probably accurate, because Approval never
rewards a truly insincere vote. But does this vote "indicate" that
the voter has no preference between A and B, nor between C and D? Of
course not!

Now, a Range vote. But the voter votes Approval style. What does this
tell us about the voter preferences? *Nothing more and nothing less.*
The voter chose to vote that way for what reason? We don't know!!!

They are votes, not sentiments. Voters may choose to express relative
preference, in Range, with some fineness of expression, but they may
also choose not to make refined expressions, and all these votes are
sincere, i.e., they imply no preferences that we cannot reasonably
infer from them with a general understanding that the voter had no
incentive to show preferences opposite to the actual.

(Now, there is a kind of insincere voting that voters may engage in,
but it isn't really rewarded, and voters will only do it when they
expect it to be moot. And they may do this kind of insincere voting
with any method whatever.)