[EM] Generalizing "manipulability"

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sun Jan 18 16:01:08 PST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Steve Eppley wrote:

> Manipulability by voter strategy can be rigorously defined without
> problematic concepts like preferences or sincere votes or how a
> dictator would vote or or how a rational voter would vote given
> beliefs about others' votes.

I appreciate the formalism, and I think we're on the same page. I
note, though, that concepts like preferences or sincere votes are
implicit in the formalism, or at least its consequences, indeed as you
mention below ("… vi is consistent with the voter's sincere order of
preference").

Your second definition requires a little work, or at least we qualify
ballot admissibility to be more restrictive than the voting rule
itself might be. For the purposes of applying the second definition to
approval, we need to rule out (for purposes of the definition) ballots
approval all or none of the alternatives X. Such a ballot satisfies
(3), but it makes approval trivially manipulable (though it's
manipulable anyway).

Likewise, for the generalization to apply to ranked methods, we need
to restrict truncation, perhaps by adding a condition that vi rank
C(v) and better. But that introduces difficulties for the generalizing
to approval.