[EM] IRV and Brown vs. Smallwood

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jan 18 10:02:31 PST 2009

Markus,

Do you have any example of FairVote suggesting Condorcet methods might be
unconstitutional? I have worked with FairVote for many years, and I don't
think they ever made that argument, or that Later-No-Harm failure makes
any method unconstitutional (the widely used block plurality method fails
L-N-H). I would certainly support a referendum for adopting Condorcet
Voting compared to plurality. A nutshell summary of FairVote's position, I
believe, would be that PR is the most significant reform, but that for
single-seat elections, Condorcet is a theoretically much better method
than Plurality, Bucklin or Approval, but like Range Voting, Condorcet has
characteristics that make it unappealing to most Americans, and it
probably has no chance of being adopted for governmental elections in the
U.S., and that the best single-seat reform that has any realistic chance
of adoption is IRV.

Terry Bouricius