[EM] Condorcet - let's move ahead

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jan 16 14:11:44 PST 2009

a range voting list?  It started as such, but where do you draw a proper
fence around the edges?  Management of this list has been quite tolerant.

I have this same thread on Election-methods, and this post will go to both.

Range vs Condorcet?
      Range voters rate candidates, and difference in a voter's rating of
two such shows strength of relative approval.  Sum of all these rating
differences shows strength of A>B or B>A.
      Condorcet voters rank each pair as A>B or B>A or (A=B if neither is
ranked over the other).  Count of rankings decides winner.
      I see each as having merit, but prefer Condorcet.

I mentioned IRV in a side discussion where I was responding to a suggestion
that Plurality would properly resolve Condorcet cycles.  I offered IRV as
better than Plurality for this purpose, WITHOUT agreeing that IRV would be
good for this purpose.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:50:05 -0500 (EST) Dale Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>

>>Condorcet/IRV would make a better pair since the voters would do the same
>>ranking for both, and IRV would, usually, pick the CW when such exists.
>

> Just so we're clear, you mean:
>
> * Elect the Condorcet winner, if one exist.
>
> * If one does not exist, elect the IRV winner (presumably from among the
> set of leading candidates tied into the cycle, i.e., the Smith set).
>

>>Anyway, trying for a better method (the proper goal) would start with
>>ranked voting
>

> Apologies if this has been covered recently (I did just join the list
> earlier this week, and tried to read back a reasonable time frame, but I
> may have missed something vital), but what is your basis for this
> assumption?  Why is range voting (I thought this was a range voting list
> :) being discarded out of hand?
>

>>Probably not possible to find a uniquely best cycle resolution
>

> It is, infact, provably impossible.

Huh?  Certainly there are rejects and lemons, but what prevents having a best?
                  If you want peace, work for justice.