[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Jan 16 10:40:44 PST 2009

Dear folks,

I haven't followed this long thread, so perhaps this has been mentioned
before. If so, sorry...

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> Because
> the concept was developed to apply to methods using a preference list,
> whether explicit on the ballot or presumed to exist in the mind of the
> voter, a strategic vote was one which reversed preference, simple. But
> with Approval and Range, it is possible to vote equal preference. Is
> that insincere if the voter has a preference? The critics of Range and
> Approval have claimed so, and thus they can claim that Range and
> Approval are "vulnerable to strategic voting."

In my view, the main question in the whole strategy-proofness debate
should be this:

To determine how I should vote, is that quite complicated or does it
depend on what I think how others will vote?

Or is my optimal way of voting both sufficiently easy to determine from
my preferences and independent of the other voters?

If the latter is the case, the method deserves to be called
"strategy-free". The whole thing has nothing to do with "sincerity".
Refering to "sincerity", that concept in itself being difficult to
define even for methods as simple as Plurality, complicates the strategy
discussion unnecessarily.

Applied to Approval and Range Voting, this clearly renders them "not
strategy-proof", since optimal strategy does heavily depend on what I
think others will do. Random Ballot, on the other hand, is clearly
"strategy-free" since my optimal strategy is always to tick my favourite.

Yours, Jobst