[EM] Does IRV elect "majority winners?"

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 10:30:57 PST 2009

> At 07:04 PM 1/5/2009, James Gilmour wrote:
> >It is quite clear (and now agreed) that the winner (A) of the
> >Exhaustive Ballot example had "a majority of the votes" at the second
> >round and so was the rightful winner of that Exhaustive Ballot.  But
> >it would quite wrong to say that candidate A had the support of
> >the majority of those who had taken part in that election, because
> >there were two rounds in that one election and some who voted in
> >the first round opted not to vote in the second round.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax > Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:11 PM
> The error here is in describing exhaustive ballot as if it were a
> single election. It isn't. It is a series of elections, with the
> candidate set for each increasingly restricted.

This statement is nonsense.  There is no error in what I wrote.  There is ONE election to determine the one winner from the set of
candidates who stand.  In the case of the Exhaustive Ballot the election proceeds by a series of rounds (one or more as required),
but it is still ONE election.

James Gilmour