[EM] The Ultimate Lottery Method!

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:00:20 PST 2009

I wonder if the solution to the maximization problem could be done iteratively
analogous to the iterative computation of  an eigenvector:

Initialize a column matrix V with 1/n in all n rows, where n is the number of
alternatives.

For each ballot vector b, form another column matrix W(b) whose k_th component is

  (1/N)*V[k]*b[k]/(the dot product of b and V)

Update V as the sum of all the W(b) over b.

Repeat until V stabilizes.