[EM] Does IRV elect "majority winners?"

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Jan 2 10:23:28 PST 2009

Dave makes a good point, that I may have emulated Abd in verbosity in
making my point. Here it is in a nutshell:

Since the two-round runoff election system widely used in the U.S. that
involves counting votes in two rounds is said to always elect a "majority
winner," meaning a majority of votes from those voters who chose to
express a preference between the two candidates who made it into the final
runoff, then by the identical logic, an IRV winner is also a "majority
winner" who ALSO has a majority of votes from those voters who chose to
express a preference between the two candidates who made it into the final
runoff. Both methods define a majority by excluding from the basis for
calculating the majority threshold all of the voters who may have voted
for a candidate in the first round but abstain (do not indicate any
preference) in the final round. In sum...If two round runoffs result in
"majority winners" so does IRV.

Terry Bouricius