[EM] Multiwinner Condorcet generalization on 1D politics

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Feb 15 15:06:14 PST 2009

I have to consider the STV-CLE part further, perhaps run some
simulations. But the minimization objective has another problem, which
I'll show here.

Dan Bishop wrote:

> This is true.  But it doesn't mean that MMPD minimization is a bad
> criterion, just that we need to consider other criteria as well.  Just
> like the Condorcet Criterion: It's possible for a method to comply while
> being non-monotonic.  That doesn't mean the Condorcet Criterion is
> defective, just that we should prefer that a method should meet both
> Condorcet AND Monotonicity.

It doesn't seem obvious to me that MMPD minimization is good. Consider
this scenario:

  0|.A...BC..DE.|1

Three to elect. A is supported by 49% just left of him, E by 50% just
right, and D by 1% slightly closer to D than to E. Minimizing the
distance would call for electing {A, D, E}, but this gives the {D, E}
coalition disproportional power. Instead, it would be better to elect
{A, C, E}: C is slightly to the right of B (which is dead center), so
the 1% D supporters pull the last candidate somewhat away from the
center, but not enormously so.