[EM] Some chance for consensus revisited: Most simple solution

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Feb 1 13:52:14 PST 2009

You're absolutely right, Juho -- I modified the condition a number of
times and didn't realize the last version did not imply both factions
prefer C to Random Ballot.

The correct set of situations for which SEC is a solution is
characterized by both factions prefering C to Random Ballot. The latter
is in particular true when alpha=beta and C has the largest total utility.

Sorry for the mistake,
Jobst

Juho Laatu schrieb:
> Makes sense but doesn't this allow also
>
> 50: A(100) > C(40) > B(0)
> 50: B(100) > C(70) > A(0)
>
> where 50*40 + 50*70 > max(50,50)*100
>
> but the A supporters may prefer random ballot from the favourites urn to the possible consensus result (C) and therefore vote (e.g.) for A in their consensus ballot.
>
> Juho

>>> 1. Consensus decision making
>>> 2. Consensus or Random Ballot
>>> 3. Approved-by-all or Random Ballot
>>> 4. Favourite or Approval Winner Random Ballot:
>> 2-ballot-FAWRB
>>> 5. Calibrated FAWRB
>>> 6. 4-slot-FAWRB